These peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are cookies we can all feel good about. Made with clean and healthy ingredients like oats, peanut butter, unsweetened shredded coconut, mashed ripe banana and with just the right amount of dark chocolate chips, these cookies are naturally sweetened, lower in sugar and full of fiber. They’re also gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
Let’s talk healthier snacks and sweet treats, because I’ve got a sweet tooth and sweet treats are a very important part of my daily life.
But 90% of the time (because perfect is boring and not realistic) when I’m reaching for a sweet treat, I’m looking for three things:
- It’s homemade so I know exactly what’s in it.
- It’s wholesomely delicious. (I don’t really like the taste of a lot of processed ingredients, unhealthy fats and processed sugar).
- It contains some nutritional value for my body like fiber, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and/or protein.
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies check all the boxes.
They work perfectly as a snack, as a dessert or even as a breakfast cookie. They’re that filling because of all the nutrient-dense, fiber-rich ingredients and good fats.
Use Bananas as a Natural Sweetener
I’m sure you’ve heard by now that too much sugar isn’t a good thing for anyone. Processed sugar wrecks your blood sugar and drives insulin, it can cause gut imbalances and it suppresses your immune system.
Naturally sweet fruits like ripe bananas and dates are some of my favorite natural sweeteners to use in baked goods like these chocolate chip peanut butter oatmeal cookies.
While these fruits do contain sugar, it’s naturally occurring sugar rather than refined sugar. Fruits like bananas and dates are also loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, as well as fiber which is beneficial for balancing the gut.
Tip: don’t throw away your spotty bananas! They are perfect for recipes like this one. You can also peel them and freeze them in a freezer storage bag or container and thaw them when you’re ready to use them.
If you make these peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, please leave a star rating and a review below. Any time you leave feedback after making one of my recipes, it helps out other EFW readers and myself so much, and I will be forever grateful to you! ❤️
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Naturally Sweetened, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 2 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup Choc Zero syrup, maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the mashed bananas with a fork.
- Add the Choc Zero, maple syrup or honey, sea salt, baking powder, almond butter and oats to the bowl with the mashed banana, and mix everything well.
- Add the chocolate chips and the coconut to the mixture, and mix everything well once more.
- Using a tablespoon, place cookie dough on the parchment covered baking sheet, placing about a tablespoon and a half of the dough for each cookie and placing cookies an inch or so apart.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the cookies begin to turn golden on the bottom. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Store these peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.