If you’re looking for an afternoon energy hit, you’ll definitely find it in one of these Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls. Chocolate, peanut butter, oats and honey come together for the perfect energizing snack.
Why an afternoon snack?
You probably know by now that I LOVE a small afternoon snack to help balance blood sugar and bridge the gap between lunch and dinner.
For me personally, having a small snack with some smart carbohydrates and either some healthy fat or protein smooths out my hunger, making me feel less ravenous and more in control of my hunger going into dinner time.
I just find that overall, I’m not as snacky at dinnertime and afterwards when I’ve had a healthy afternoon snack and balanced my blood sugar.
The right kind of energy boost
But let’s get one thing straight – these energy balls aren’t *just* for afternoon snacking. Feel free to enjoy one any time you’re feeling low energy or you’re just craving the chocolate peanut butter combo (for me, that’s pretty much anytime).
Why are these little energy balls so, well, energizing? Because they’re balanced with nutrition and ingredients that your body will love! They have good fats and protein from peanut butter, fiber from rolled oats and flaxseed and antioxidants from cacao powder.
Watch this short video I made showing you how I make these energy balls with what I’ve got on-hand:
Looking for more energizing snacks? Try these:
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Cookies
- Superfood Energy Bites
- Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pecans
- Cinnamon Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes
If you make this chocolate peanut butter energy balls recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know what you think! Your feedback is so helpful for me and other visitors to my blog.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Food processor or blender
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp cacao or cocoa powder, divided
- Place all ingredients except for 1 Tbsp of the cacao or cocoa powder, into the bowl of a food processor. Place the other 1 Tbsp cacao or cocoa powder into a small bowl and set aside.
- Process the ingredients in the food processor until everything begins to come together, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Don't over process the mixture as you want the mixture to be a little bit chunky.
- If the mixture is a bit too dry to hold together, add 1/2 Tbsp warm water to the mixture and process again.
- Roll the mixture into 8-10 uniform sized balls. Roll each ball in the additional 1 Tbsp of cacao or cocoa powder so that each ball is covered. Set the balls in the refrigerator to set up for about 30 minutes.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for about a week.