This chorizo sweet potato skillet proves that you don’t need to be vegan to enjoy a yummy vegan recipe! Yep, it’s THAT good. And it’s beyond easy to make, making it a clear winner in the weeknight meal department.
I get requests for quick and healthy weeknight family meals more than any other kinds of recipes. And I get it, ya’ll. It can certainly be challenging to get a yummy and healthy meal out on the table most weeknights.
But this vegan chorizo sweet potato skillet recipe gets the job done.
Before we go any further, I feel that I should tell you that no one in my house is fully vegan.
With that said, we do try to eat plant based dinners one or two nights a week.
I love the combination of spicy vegan chorizo, naturally sweet roasted sweet potatoes and crisp green onions in this dish. It really is one of my favorite skillet recipes.
If you haven’t tried vegan chorizo (also known as soyrizo) yet, I encourage you to give it a go at least just once. You might be surprised at how delicious it is and I’ll bet you and your family won’t even miss the meat.
I love using the soyrizo in this recipe because it’s already wonderfully seasoned, so you really don’t need to add much more. It’s already flavorful without adding any other seasonings. Maybe just a hit of hot sauce on top. I do also suggest always choosing organic soy products. You can find organic soy chorizo at Natural Grocers, Whole Foods or any other health food grocery store.
If you want to cut down on the time to make this chorizo sweet potato skillet, go ahead and roast the sweet potato cubes ahead of time when you’re doing some meal prep. Just store them in a covered container in your refrigerator until you’re ready to use them in this dish, or other dishes. Then when you go to assemble this recipe, it will literally only take you minutes to throw it together.
If you make this vegan chorizo sweet potato skillet recipe, please leave a star rating and a review below. Any time you leave feedback after making one of my recipes, it helps out other EFW readers and myself so much, and I will be forever grateful to you! ❤️
Vegan Chorizo Sweet Potato Skillet Recipe (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- Parchment paper
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 ounce package organic soy chorizo (I like El Burrito Soyrizo)
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 5 green onions, ends removed and thinly sliced
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Start with roasting the sweet potatoes (this can be done ahead of time). Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the cut sweet potatoes over the covered baking sheet and place it into the oven. Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes, then toss them around the baking sheet with a wooden spoon. Roast them for 10 more minutes, and then remove them from the oven. The sweet potatoes should be fork tender.
- Heat a dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil to the skillet. Add the red pepper and soy chorizo, and use a wooden spoon to break up the chorizo. Sauté for about 6 minutes or until the pepper starts to soften.
- Add the roasted sweet potato cubes, spinach and green onions to the skillet and mix well with the other ingredients. Allow the spinach to just start to wilt, just for about 3 or 4 minutes, and then remove the skillet from the heat. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.