The soups made with cream are always the most delicious ones, yes? But cashew cream is the secret ingredient for cream based soups that I’d prefer to make dairy free. Just like this Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese Soup.
I’m not 100% dairy free (I actually don’t recommend putting any kind of labels on the way you eat), but I do try to limit dairy in my diet because my digestion feels better when I don’t eat too much of it.
This delicious Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese Soup is actually quite easy to make. I like to use a bag of frozen broccoli florets, which is something that I always keep in the freezer because it’s so versatile and it always comes in handy when I’m in a pinch with no fresh veggies on hand.
If you don’t remember or have time to soak the cashews for the cashew cream, just soak them quickly as you’re making the rest of the soup. The soup will still work out fine.
The other main ingredient besides the broccoli and cashew cream is sweet potatoes, which are high in fiber and are beneficial for gut health. They help to give this soup its velvety texture.
One of my favorite kitchen tools is my immersion blender because of how easy it is to make soups like this one. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer your cooked soup into a blender to blend. Just be careful when you’re working with very hot soups. I suggest doing it in batches if you’re taking the regular blender route. I use my immersion blender almost weekly to make soups like this one. Here’s the immersion blender that I have. I love it and have had it for many years.
If you make this dairy-free broccoli cheese soup, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know what you think. I love hearing your feedback!
Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese Soup [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- Immersion blender or blender
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (I like using Japanese sweet potatoes, but regular sweet potatoes are also fine)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if not vegan)
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb bag of frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Place the cashews in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Let sit for as long as possible, for at least an hour or even overnight.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, broth and water, turn the heat up to medium high, and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the broccoli and sea salt to the pot and allow to cook for about 8-10 minutes more, or until the broccoli is fork tender. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the water from the cashews, and add the cashews and 1/2 cup cold water to a blender. Blend for about 1 minute, or until the cashew cream is smooth and has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it has reached your desired consistency and texture. I like to leave it just a bit chunky with pieces of broccoli and potato for texture. Alternatively, if you don't have an immersion blender, you can remove the soup to a blender or food processor to blend, working in batches. If you choose this method, please be careful handling as the soup will be very hot.
- Add the cashew cream to the pot of soup and mix well. Adjust sea salt and add black pepper to your desired preference.