My favorite part about Thanksgiving is all the delicious side dishes. But here in the South, side dishes at Thanksgiving all tend to be really HEAVY. I’m talking loads of butter, cream and other ingredients that can really do a number on this gal’s sensitive digestive system. So I’ve learned to bring a couple of lightened up versions of my favorite side dishes to our family’s Thanksgiving meal, and this Dairy Free Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is one of my favorites.
Believe me, I love Thanksgiving and I truly do believe in the feast! But too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing, when it comes to digestion. Too much of these heavy and highly processed ingredients leaves me with unpleasant gas and bloating and I hate it when my digestion feels off. It just makes me feel badly all around. So bringing this lighter version of a sweet potato casserole means I get to enjoy one of my favorite foods, sweet potatoes, on my Thanksgiving plate.
My mom has been making the heavier version of this sweet potato casserole for years. I honestly can’t remember a Thanksgiving without it, and I’ve always loved it. She gave me her recipe and I did what I love to do. I “cleaned it up” and used dairy free ingredients, which are lighter on my digestive system. I also cut the sweetness back a little by using maple syrup instead of granulated sugar.
My husband taste-tested my vegan dairy free sweet potato casserole and said he actually prefers it a bit less sweet. He said he likes his side dishes to taste like side dishes and not dessert. Because heaven knows at a southern Thanksgiving table, there’s no shortage of desserts, either.
I love to see your beautiful creations! If you make this Dairy Free Sweet Potato Casserole recipe or any of my other recipes, be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can see how it turned out and share it on my page! Elizabeth xo
Dairy Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (I usually use two orange and one Japanese for sweeter flavor, but use any variety you’d like)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup corn flakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- Scrub the sweet potatoes well and pierce with a fork 4 or 5 times. Place them on a baking sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until they're well cooked.
- Let the sweet potatoes cool enough to handle, and scoop the flesh out of the skins, placing the flesh in a large bowl. Discard the skins.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher. Add the eggs, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, flour, coconut milk and cinnamon and mix everything well.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish and set aside.
- In a ziploc bag, add all the ingredients for the topping. Use your hands to just barely crush the corn flakes; don’t pulverize them or you won’t have any crunch to your topping. Evenly spread the topping mixture on top of the casserole.
- Bake the dairy free sweet potato casserole at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.