Last week on my Instagram page, I posted my top tips for getting my gut back on track after I’ve been traveling or I’m just feeling like there’s inflammation in my digestive tract. The first thing I do anytime I feel inflammation in my gut (read: gas, bloating or soreness in my lower abdomen, they all tend to occur together when I’m inflamed) is to drink a soothing turmeric latte, which is also sometimes called golden milk. Many of you asked me to share how I make it, so below you’ll find my Dairy Free Turmeric Latte recipe.
Turmeric is known for its inflammation-lowering properties, thanks to curcumin which is the compound that gives turmeric its gorgeous yellow/orange color. I swear I can always tell a huge difference right away when I drink a soothing turmeric latte. It makes a nice nightcap or an afternoon pick me up. Actually, a warm drink just feels like self-care in a mug anytime of day.
FYI: turmeric stains fingers and white clothing and white countertops, so be careful not to spill your latte.I love to see your beautiful creations!
Dairy Free Turmeric Latte Recipe (aka Goldenmilk)
- 6 oz water
- 1/2 cup your favorite non-dairy milk (I like hemp milk, cashew milk or almond milk)
- 1 to 2 tsp ground turmeric (more if you want it stronger, less if not)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup to sweeten
- Ground cinnamon and/or ground cardamom to taste
- Heat the water to a near boil (I use my tea kettle), then add the hot water to a blender.
- Add the milk to the blender along with the ground turmeric, black pepper, maple syrup and cinnamon and/or cardamom if using. Blend all ingredients on low for about a minute.
- Pour into a cup and top with another shake of cinnamon, if desired. Personally I believe one can never have too much cinnamon!