Last week on my Instagram page, I posted my top tips for getting my gut back on track after I’ve been traveling or I’m just feeling like there’s inflammation in my digestive tract. The first thing I do anytime I feel inflammation in my gut (read: gas, bloating or soreness in my lower abdomen, they all tend to occur together when I’m inflamed) is to drink a soothing turmeric latte, which is also sometimes called golden milk. Many of you asked me to share how I make it, so below you’ll find my Dairy Free Turmeric Latte recipe.
Turmeric is known for its inflammation-lowering properties, thanks to curcumin which is the compound that gives turmeric its gorgeous yellow/orange color. I swear I can always tell a huge difference right away when I drink a soothing turmeric latte. It makes a nice nightcap or an afternoon pick me up. Actually, a warm drink just feels like self-care in a mug anytime of day.
FYI: turmeric stains fingers and white clothing and white countertops, so be careful not to spill your latte.
Dairy Free Turmeric Latte Recipe (aka Goldenmilk)
- 6 oz water
- 1/2 cup your favorite non-dairy milk (I like hemp milk, cashew milk or almond milk)
- 1 to 2 tsp ground turmeric (more if you want it stronger, less if not)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup to sweeten
- Ground cinnamon and/or ground cardamom to taste
- Heat the water to a near boil (I use my tea kettle), then add the hot water to a blender.
- Add the milk to the blender along with the ground turmeric, black pepper, maple syrup and cinnamon and/or cardamom if using. Blend all ingredients on low for about a minute.
- Pour into a cup and top with another shake of cinnamon, if desired. Personally I believe one can never have too much cinnamon!
I love to see your beautiful creations! If you make this Dairy Free Turmeric Latte recipe or any of my other recipes, be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can see how it turned out and share it on my page! ♥︎ Elizabeth