An easy chicken taco soup that’s made from start to finish in the Instant Pot, with a short ingredients list of pantry and fridge staples and that my entire family loves? Oh yeah, sign me up for that!
Let me share just a little bit of back story for this recipe. I’ve been making my two-ingredient shredded salsa chicken in the Instant Pot for a while now. I use it for everything from tacos to nachos to bowls, and it’s perfect in everything I’ve tried it in (especially this Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake!). It’s my favorite meal prep trick that’s super hands off.
So a few weeks ago, I got the idea to put the shredded cooked chicken back into the Instant Pot, and to just toss in all the other ingredients I’d need in order to make a simple taco soup — broth, tomatoes, frozen corn and seasonings. Not only did it work out, but my family loved it. And this Easy Chicken Taco Soup in the Instant Pot was born.
Everyone can make it their own
What really makes this soup fun is that everyone can top their soup with their favorite toppings. I like to set out shredded cheese, green onions, fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, hot sauce and corn chips whenever we have this soup, and everyone can load up their bowl however they like it. It’s always a crowd pleasing meal!
If you make this Easy Chicken Taco Soup, be sure to leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know what you think! Your feedback is so helpful for me and other visitors to my blog.
Looking for more healthy soup recipes? Try these:
- Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Vegan Tomato Bisque
- Classic Minestrone Soup (Vegan)
- Roasted Cauliflower Tahini Soup With Harissa
Easy Chicken Taco Soup (Dairy-Free + Gluten-Free)
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup salsa of choice (I use Trader Joe's Hatch Valley Salsa or Salsa Verde)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Toppings of choice: sliced green onions, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, hot sauce
- Corn chips for serving
- Prep the chicken first: Place the salsa in an Instant Pot, then place the chicken breasts in the salsa. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Place the lid on the Instant Pot (valve set to sealed), and pressure cook on manual for about 12 minutes. Release the steam valve and check to make sure your chicken is done, then place the chicken and juices in a bowl to shred. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer with paddle attachment to shred the chicken, but you could use a fork, knife, food processor (just don’t overprocess) or any other tool you’d like. Place the shredded chicken with any juices back into the Instant Pot.
- Add all other ingredients (with the exception of the toppings and the corn chips) to the Instant Pot and give it a stir. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealed. Put the setting on Soup/Broth for about 20-25 minutes. When finished, release the steam valve. Serve immediately or leave it in the Instant Pot on warming until ready to eat.
- Top soup with toppings of choice and corn chips on the side.