I’m completely in love with this refreshing Cucumber Red Onion Salad With Mint for summer. It’s simple, it’s made with only six ingredients, it’s healthy and it’s delicious. It truly makes the perfect side salad for summer barbecue favorites.
I’ve made this cucumber red onion salad with mint as a side dish for grilled chicken, grilled fish and turkey meatballs. And it’s perfectly accompanied each of these dishes.
I love the flavor combination in this salad. The spiciness of the red onion is cooled by the fresh cucumber and mint, and the apple cider vinegar/olive oil dressing brings it all together beautifully.
Ingredients with Benefits
Cucumber: cucumbers are filling because they’re high in fiber and water, and the water content makes them a wonderfully hydrating food during the warmer months.
Red onion: onions are incredible superfoods. They’re full of inulin and prebiotic fibers which make them a food that’s very beneficial for gut health. They also contain a variety of phytonutrients which may benefit many systems of the body, including the heart.
Extra virgin olive oil: EVOO is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, which are the same kind found in avocados. It’s been shown to benefit cardiovascular health, and incorporating EVOO into your diet may even help you to maintain a healthy weight. Eating plenty of olive oil (and other healthy foods, like vegetables, fruit, fish, beans and whole grains) is one of the main components of a Mediterranean diet, which is known to be one, if not the healthiest diet in the world.
Apple cider vinegar: I love the flavor of ACV in salad dressings, but I also love its health benefits, including antibiotic and antimicrobial effects. It may also have a beneficial effect on blood sugar levels.
Fresh mint: all fresh herbs contain antioxidants and have health benefits, so I try to add them to our family’s food as much as possible. They also add a lot of fresh flavor to foods.
This salad is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, but you could also make it into a lighter vegetarian meal if you wanted to add some feta or goat cheese for a bit of protein.
If you make this Cucumber Red Onion Salad With Mint, be sure to leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know what you think! Your feedback is so helpful for me and other visitors to my blog.
Looking for more delicious summer salad recipes? Try these:
- Practically Homemade Easy Caesar Salad
- Healthy Salmon Salad
- Truffle Roasted Potato Salad
- Peanut Soy Dressing
Cucumber Red Onion Salad With Mint (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 5 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar (I use coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, sliced
- Add the cucumbers and onion to a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, sea salt and black pepper.
- Pour the olive oil dressing over the cucumber and onion, and toss everything well to coat. Adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Place the salad in the refrigerator to sit for about 15 minutes so the flavors come together.
- When ready to serve, add the fresh mint to the salad.