Chewy dates stuffed with pecans and covered in dark chocolate and sea salt — you’re going to love this healthier treat that tastes completely indulgent.
These healthy dark chocolate pecan caramels are insanely delicious. But how can you even go wrong with anything that includes chewy dates and deep dark chocolate together?
You can’t. The answer is, you can’t go wrong with that combo.
My favorite thing about these healthy dark chocolate pecan caramels (besides the way they taste, of course) is that they’re made with just four ingredients, each of which is packed with nutrition. And they’re as easy as 1-2-3 to make! Seriously, it doesn’t get any easier.
Let’s break down what’s in them:
Medjool dates — the perfect healthy stand-in for caramel, medjool dates are rich in the mineral potassium and are an excellent source of fiber, which of course we know is beneficial for digestive health.
Raw pecans — raw pecans are high in many vitamins and minerals and are a good source of monounsaturated fats, which are the same healthy fats that are found in olive oil and avocados.
Dark chocolate — good quality dark chocolate with a higher percentage of cacao (around 70% or higher) contains a good amount of fiber, and it’s also loaded with important minerals. Dark chocolate also contains compounds that can help to improve mood and bring on feelings of calm.
Coconut oil — coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids that, when eaten in moderation, can provide energy for the body.
While these dark chocolate pecan stuffed dates are a cleaner option, you’ll definitely want to enjoy these in moderation. Luckily, one piece is just enough to satisfy a sweet tooth and do it with some nutritional value as well.
Looking for more healthy sweet treats? Try these:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisps
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Brownies With Tahini Drizzle
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
If you make this healthy dark chocolate pecan caramels recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know what you think! Your feedback is so helpful for me and other visitors to my blog.
Healthy Dark Chocolate Pecan Caramels (Gluten-free + Dairy-free)
- 6 medjool dates, halved lengthways and pits removed
- 12 raw pecan halves
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, 70% cacao or higher
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Sea salt for sprinkling on top, optional
- Place the medjool dates, open side up, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place one raw pecan half inside each date half. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly so that it doesn't burn. Heat just until they both begin to melt and combine well. Remove from the heat.
- Cover each stuffed date half with about a teaspoon of the melted dark chocolate mixture. If desired, sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on top of each date.
- Place the baking sheet with dates in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chocolate is set up well.
- Store the dates covered in the refrigerator for about a week, or in the freezer for longer.