This healthy homemade fried rice recipe was originally published in November 2019 and updated in July 2020.
One of my favorite clean, easy and simple weeknight meals is a healthy homemade fried rice. It’s ready in under 30 minutes, you can load it up with colorful veggies and my family loves it. Trust me when I say this fried rice recipe is better than takeout!
Healthy homemade fried rice is such a simple dish that really doesn’t need a lot of fuss because the ingredients are so flavorful on their own. My version uses plenty of colorful veggies like carrots and onions. Then I add cooked brown rice, throw in some eggs and green peas for protein and finally, mix it all up with a simple sauce made from just two ingredients. It couldn’t be any easier!
If your goal is to cook more healthy meals at home but you need them to be simple, easy and inexpensive, then be sure to give this one a try.
The secret to quick and healthy weeknight meals…
Of course I’m a huge proponent for cooking more of your own foods at home. But I’m NOT a fan of complicated or time consuming meals for busy weeknights! In fact, my theory is that if your weeknight meals take more than 20-25 minutes to throw together, you’re doing it wrong.
Save the complicated meals for the weekends. Keep weeknight meals simple by using fresh ingredients and lots of BIG flavors with spices and healthy condiments, which is exactly what we’re doing with this healthy homemade fried rice recipe.
When I make fried rice, I love to use traditional cooked brown rice for the texture and because it’s so satiating, but I also love to throw in some riced cauliflower to help give it even more texture and fiber. This version is so satiating for a dinner or a next day lunch.
To dress it, I just use a simple combination of toasted sesame oil and coconut aminos. You can also substitute soy sauce in place of the coconut aminos, and if you do, I recommend choosing an organic lite or low-sodium soy sauce.
And of course, everything is best served with a drizzle of sriracha!
If you make this healthy homemade fried rice, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know what you think. I love hearing your feedback and reviews are incredibly helpful for other Elizabeth Finch Wellness readers!
Better Thank Takeout Homemade Fried Rice (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, plus another 1/2 tbsp (divided)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 cups fresh or frozen spinach
- 2/3 cup frozen green peas
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or substitute organic lite soy sauce)
- Sea salt to taste
- Sliced green onions, sesame seeds and/or sriracha for topping
- Cook the rice first according to package directions. This can be done ahead of time. (I use an Instant Pot and it's ready in under 10 minutes.)
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil to the wok or skillet along with the onion and carrots. Stir fry for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the riced cauliflower, spinach and green peas to the wok and stir fry for another 4-5 minutes.
- Make an opening in the center of the stir fry and add the other 1/2 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil. Crack the eggs in the oil and stir fry with the veggies immediately, scrambling the eggs until they're almost cooked completely, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixture and turn off the heat.
- Add the coconut aminos (or soy sauce, if subbing) to the mixture and stir well. Season with sea salt to taste.
- If desired, top with sliced green onions, sesame seeds and/or sriracha.