One of my favorite clean and simple weeknight meals is a healthy fried rice. My mom used to make homemade fried rice, and I still love it now that I’m a mom myself.
Fried rice is such a simple dish that really doesn’t need a lot of fuss because the ingredients are so flavorful on their own. Start with basic veggies like carrots and onions, throw in some eggs for protein and mix it all up with a simple sauce made from only two ingredients.
This homemade fried rice recipe is easy to make, it’s healthy and it’s delicious. If you want to cook more healthy meals at home but you need them to be simple, easy and inexpensive, then be sure to give this one a try.
You guys know what a proponent I am for cooking more of your own foods at home. But it does NOT have to be complicated or time consuming! In fact, if your weeknight meals take more than 20-25 minutes to throw together, then you’re doing it wrong.
Save those complicated meals for the weekends. Keep weeknight meals simple and use fresh ingredients, along with plenty of spices and healthy condiments, just like this homemade fried rice recipe.
This fried rice recipe does use some rice because I love carbs and I hope you do too! Carbs are important for our health, but it’s important to choose the right kinds and whole grains like brown rice are absolutely one of the right kinds. But I also incorporated cauliflower rice to help give it even more texture and fiber, making it a very satisfying dinner dish. (Click here to read more about fiber and gut health.)
This homemade fried rice is flavored with a simple combination of toasted sesame oil and coconut aminos. You can also substitute soy sauce in place of the coconut aminos, and if you do, I recommend choosing an organic lite or low-sodium soy sauce.
Better Thank Takeout Homemade Fried Rice (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian)
- 1 cup uncooked rice (I used brown jasmine rice)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 cups baby carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, plus another 1/2 tbsp (divided)
- 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or substitute organic lite soy sauce)
- Sea salt to taste
- Sliced green onions, sesame seeds or other topping, if desired
- Cook the rice first according to package directions. This can be done ahead of time.
- Heat a wok or a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add the 1 tbsp of toasted sesame oil to the wok or skillet along with the onion and carrots. Stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the riced cauliflower, spinach and green peas to the wok and stir fry for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into the fried rice mixture and stir fry immediately, scrambling the eggs with the vegetables until they're almost cooked completely, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixture and turn off the heat.
- Add the coconut aminos (or soy sauce, if subbing) and the other 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil to the mixture and stir well. Season with sea salt to taste.
- If desired, top your homemade fried rice with sliced green onions and/or sesame seeds.