This Spicy Vegan Chorizo Skillet recipe is a plant-based spinoff of a recipe I’ve been making for years, the cheeseburger skillet. You all have asked for more easy and healthy weeknight meals, and this one couldn’t be any easier or more delicious.
I love the combination of spicy vegan chorizo, naturally sweet roasted sweet potatoes and crisp green onions in this dish. It really is one of my favorite vegan skillet recipes.
If you haven’t tried vegan chorizo (also known as soyrizo) yet, I encourage you to give it a go at least just once. You might be surprised at how delicious it is and I’ll bet you and your family won’t even miss the meat. If you’re baby-stepping your way to a more plant based diet (which doesn’t have to mean fully vegan or even vegetarian), something like this dish might just be your new meat-free Monday go-to recipe. Just be sure to always choose organic when it comes to anything made from soy.
Spicy Vegan Chorizo Skillet Recipe
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 12 oz packages organic soy chorizo (I like the El Burrito brand)
- 4 cups pre-roasted sweet potato cubes
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 bunch green onions, ends removed and thinly sliced
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Nutritional yeast flakes for topping
- Heat a dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add the red pepper and soy chorizo, using a wooden spoon to break up the chorizo. Sauté for about 6 minutes or until the pepper starts to soften.
- Add the roasted sweet potato cubes and the spinach to the skillet and mix well with the other ingredients. Allow the spinach to just start to wilt, for about 3 or 4 minutes, and remove from the heat. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Top with the sliced green onions and nutrition yeast flakes if desired.
I love to see your beautiful creations! If you make this Spicy Vegan Chorizo Skillet Recipe or any of my other recipes, be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can see how it turned out and share it on my page! ♥︎ Elizabeth