There’s really not much that can make the flavors of a BLT (that is, bacon, lettuce and tomato) taste better than they already do. Unless you add roasted sweet potatoes and pesto to the mix, which is exactly what I did for this pesto BLT salad recipe.
I’m not drooling, you’re drooling. And believe me when I say that this pesto BLT salad recipe is completely drool worthy.
This version is a delicious and healthier twist on the classic blt, but lightened up, summer salad style.
Here’s why you’re going to love it:
No. 1 | It’s beyond delicious. I mean, BLT. Enough said.
No. 2 | It’s simple, quick and easy, especially when you do just a small amount of prep work and roast the sweet potatoes ahead of time. Ya’ll know that I’m the queen of simple and healthy, weeknight family meals.
No. 3 | It’s a lightened up version of a classic BLT, for those of you who are like me and want ALL the flavor, but you’re also focused on your health. Instead of making a BLT sandwich on bread, we’re substituting roasted sweet potato for the bread. Not that there’s anything wrong with bread. It’s just good to add variety to the foods you eat because you get more nutrients that way. (That’s a health coach tip.)
No. 4 | There’s so much good nutrition in this BLT salad recipe. Yes, it has bacon which is a saturated fat, but we’re keeping it to a minimum here. Also, the sweet potatoes are full of fiber, vitamins and minerals, the tomato is loaded with vitamins and minerals and is super hydrating and the avocado brings some healthy fats to the dish that are anti-inflammatory and are beneficial for the heart, skin, metabolism and more.
Now that’s my kind of BLT. BLT salad, that is.
If you make this pesto BLT salad recipe, please leave a star rating and a review below. Any time you leave feedback after making one of my recipes, it helps out other Elizabeth Finch Wellness readers and myself so much, and I will be forever grateful to you! ❤️
Pesto BLT Salad (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Parchment paper
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 pieces bacon
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatos, quartered
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons store bought dairy-free pesto (I use Trader Joe's vegan kale, cashew & basil pesto)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by roasting the sweet potato. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place the sweet potato cubes onto the baking sheet. Roast the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes, then shake them around with a wooden spoon so that they roast evenly. Roast for 10 minutes longer and remove from the oven to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, avocado, pesto and black pepper. Fold in the sweet potatoes and the bacon, and adjust the seasonings.
- Divide the salad evenly among two plates and serve.