I’m not really sure how it even happened, but I had a whim to make my banana bread recipe into a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. So I did, and now chocolate chip oatmeal banana bread cookies are a thing at our house! My family is obsessed, keep reading for the recipe!
These oatmeal banana bread cookies are so filling, I almost called them a breakfast cookie. I’ve eaten one or two of these for breakfast more times than I can count over the last few weeks. Smear some almond butter or peanut butter over the top of one of them and you’re good to go for at least a few hours.
These chocolate chip cookies are high in fiber which benefits gut health, plus they’re super easy to make so it’s winning all around. And is it just me or does anyone else wind up with spotty bananas on her hands every week or so? Use those spotty bananas in this cookies recipe. They’re perfect for it.
Please let me know if you make these Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Bread Cookies! If you do, I’d love for you to tag me in a pic on Instagram so I can see how they turned out! Elizabeth xo
Here’s the recipe!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Bread Cookies
- 2 medium spotty (aka very ripe) bananas, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey (note that honey isn't technically vegan)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the honey.
- Add the sea salt, baking soda and whole wheat flour to the mixture and mix well by hand.
- Add the oats, chocolate chips and shredded coconut to the mixture and mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, place cookie dough on the parchment covered baking sheet, placing about a tablespoon and a half of the dough for each cookie and placing cookies an inch or so apart.
- Bake for about 18 minutes.
- Allow the chocolate chip banana bread cookies to cool before storing them in a covered container for up to 5 days.