Better Thank Takeout Homemade Fried Rice (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian)
Made with a combination of brown rice and cauliflower rice, colorful veggies, eggs and green peas for protein and a simple two-ingredient sauce, this homemade fried rice is more delicious and satisfying than takeout, and a whole lot healthier.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, plus another 1/2 tbsp (divided)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 cups fresh or frozen spinach
- 2/3 cup frozen green peas
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or substitute organic lite soy sauce)
- Sea salt to taste
- Sliced green onions, sesame seeds and/or sriracha for topping
Cook the rice first according to package directions. This can be done ahead of time. (I use an Instant Pot and it's ready in under 10 minutes.)
Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil to the wok or skillet along with the onion and carrots. Stir fry for 3 or 4 minutes.
Add the riced cauliflower, spinach and green peas to the wok and stir fry for another 4-5 minutes.
Make an opening in the center of the stir fry and add the other 1/2 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil. Crack the eggs in the oil and stir fry with the veggies immediately, scrambling the eggs until they're almost cooked completely, about 3 or 4 minutes.
Add the cooked rice to the mixture and turn off the heat.
Add the coconut aminos (or soy sauce, if subbing) to the mixture and stir well. Season with sea salt to taste.
If desired, top with sliced green onions, sesame seeds and/or sriracha.