Mediterranean Veggie Pasta Recipe (Vegetarian)
You'll love the flavors in this easy vegetarian pasta dish. Tangy marinara sauce comes together with salty olives, artichokes, mushrooms and sweet caramelized onions. This is one of my favorite weeknight meals that takes less than 20 minutes to make!
- 8 oz pasta of choice (I used Banza rotini)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 10 oz jar artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives, drained
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I used Rao's)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 2-3 cups baby spinach, arugula or other green
- Optional: grated or shaved parmesan cheese for topping
Add the olive oil to a large pan or skillet over medium to medium-high heat, then add the onion and garlic. Sauté for about 6 or 7 minutes or until the onion is translucent and beginning to caramelize.
Add the mushrooms, artichoke hearts and olives to the pan and continue to sauté for about 5 more minutes, watching closely to make sure it doesn't stick.
Add the marinara sauce and sea salt to the mixture, stir well and lower the heat to simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Turn the heat off and add the greens to the mixture. Stir well, letting the heat from the sauce wilt the greens.
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss everything well. Adjust the seasoning to your tastes. Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.