Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake (Gluten-free)
With simple but flavorful ingredients like peppers, onion, quinoa, chicken, cheese and enchilada sauce, this is a healthier version of comfort food that your whole family will love.
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and either shredded or chopped
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 15 oz jar red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, avocado and/or chopped cilantro
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. (I pre-cooked it in my Instant Pot and keep it covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, sea salt, cumin and chili powder and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
Add the cooked chicken to the skillet and mix well with the vegetables. Remove from the heat.
Spread half the quinoa over the bottom of the dish, followed by half the chicken and vegetable mixture then half the enchilada sauce. Layer the rest of the quinoa, chicken and vegetable mixture and enchilada sauce. Top with the cheese and place the dish into the oven.
Cook for about 25 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the dish is heated through.
Top with diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, avocado or chopped cilantro.