I’ve long shared my love for roasted Japanese sweet potatoes. Since the day I first discovered them, I’ve said they’re superior to the regular orange variety. They’re sweeter, their texture is firmer and more satisfying to bite into and they’re more filling. When they’re perfectly roasted, I would compare them to eating a delicious sweet potato pie. Which is exactly why Cinnamon Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes are my new dessert obsession.
I always crave a little something sweet after dinner. Can’t help it, it’s who I am. I’ve tried to fight it in the past and deprive myself from eating sweet foods, but all that ends up leading to is a big sweets binge. (More here on why I’m not into restriction but rather intuitive eating.)
Lately I’ve been reaching for a few slices of these roasted sweet potatoes after dinner and it really satisfies my sweet tooth. Of course I love the way they taste and that’s the main reason these Cinnamon Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes are my new dessert obsession.
But Japanese sweet potatoes also have amazing nutritional value. They’re high in fiber which helps to fill you up and prevent nighttime snacking, and also helps to keep things moving along in the digestive tract (read: prevents constipation). They’re also loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, and they have high levels of hyaluronic acid, which helps maintain the skin’s elasticity by keeping the skin tissue moist. Bonus points for also being a beauty food!
Note: I find Japanese sweet potatoes at pretty much every natural grocery store and specialty stores including Whole Foods, Natural Grocers and Fresh Market. The skin is a dark purple color.
Cinnamon Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Wash and scrub the sweet potato well. I use a scrub brush like this one to clean veggies.
- Cut the sweet potato into rounds about 1/2″ thick. The most important thing is that they are all relatively the same thickness, which will help them to roast evenly and prevent burning. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the sweet potato rounds to a large mixing bowl, along with the olive oil and ground cinnamon. Using a wooden spoon, stir everything well to ensure that all pieces of sweet potato are coated with the oil and cinnamon.
- Lay the sweet potato rounds out on the parchment paper covered baking sheet and place into the oven. Roast for about 20 minutes, then flip the rounds over and roast for about 10-15 minutes longer, depending on the size and thickness of your sweet potato rounds. Pierce the sweet potato with a fork to make sure they’re cooked through (the thicker ones may take a bit longer).
- Allow the sweet potato rounds to cool thoroughly before placing them into a covered container in the refrigerator where they’ll keep for the week, if you don’t eat them all before!
What is your favorite healthy dessert? I’d love to know!
Elizabeth Finch Wellness is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.