These Cinnamon Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes are the naturally sweet snack you didn’t know you needed!
I’ve long shared my love for roasted Japanese sweet potatoes. In comparison to regular orange sweet potatoes, to me they taste sweeter and their texture is firmer and more satisfying to bite into. When they’re perfectly roasted with a little bit of cinnamon, I would compare them to eating a piece of sweet potato pie. It’s pretty close, I promise!
Lately I’ve been reaching for a few slices of these cinnamon roasted Japanese sweet potatoes as a 4:00pm snack, with a little scoop of almond butter to dip them into. This snack really tides me over and helps to balance out my cravings for sweets.
I definitely crave sweeter foods. I always have. In the past I’ve tried to fight my sweet tooth and deprive myself from eating sweet foods, but whenever I’ve done that, it has usually ended up leading to a big sweets binge. Now I no longer try to restrict sweet foods, and I’ve learned to include more natural and healthy sweet foods in my daily diet, like roasted sweet potatoes and fresh fruit. When I include plenty of these kinds of foods on a daily basis, I don’t really crave processed sugar.
Japanese sweet potatoes have amazing nutritional value. They’re high in fiber which helps to keep you feeling full and satisfied, and also helps to keep things moving along in the digestive tract (read: prevents constipation). Japanese sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, and they have high levels of hyaluronic acid, which helps maintain the skin’s elasticity by keeping the skin tissue moist. Bonus points because they’re also a beauty food!
Note: I find Japanese sweet potatoes at pretty much every natural grocery store and specialty stores including Whole Foods, Natural Grocers and Fresh Market. The skin is a dark purple color.
If you make this Cinnamon Roasted Japanese Sweet Potato recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know what you think! Your feedback is so helpful for me and other visitors to my blog.
Want more healthy snack ideas? Try these:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Superfood Energy Bites
- Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pecans
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates With Honey
Cinnamon Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Wash and scrub the sweet potato well. I use a scrub brush to clean the skin well. Cut the sweet potato into rounds about 1/2″ thick. The most important thing is that they are all relatively the same thickness, which will help them to roast evenly and prevent burning.
- Add the sweet potato rounds to a large mixing bowl, along with the olive oil and ground cinnamon. Using a wooden spoon, stir everything well to ensure that all pieces of sweet potato are coated with the oil and cinnamon.
- Lay the sweet potato rounds out on the parchment paper covered baking sheet and place into the oven. Roast for about 18 minutes, then flip the rounds over and roast for about 10-15 minutes longer, depending on the size and thickness of your sweet potato rounds. Pierce the sweet potato with a fork to make sure they’re cooked through (the thicker ones may take a bit longer).
- Allow the sweet potato rounds to cool thoroughly before placing them into a covered container in the refrigerator where they’ll keep for the week (if you don’t eat them all before).